Thursday, October 23, 2014

Philosophy of Teaching Statement, round 1

In an attempt to not be so overwhelmed by rewriting my philosophy of teaching statement, I'm going to blog it here.  The less formal medium and easy feedback option (please give me feedback) helps too.  I need to quit procrastinating this and just write, hence the blog:


My philosophy of teaching has taken a new form since moving to India in July of this year.  Though my conceptualization of learning is rooted still in Paolo Friere's understanding of the flaws of the banking method of education, I now recognize how my approach is akin to what is often deemed the easiest way to learn a second language.  Through various activities and exercises geared towards introducing students to the language and culture of philosophy and the humanities, both  inside and outside the classroom, I believe student best learn critical thinking, reading, writing, and discussion skills though immersion.

Though student's can't move to the world of philosophy as one can move to a new country to better learn its language, I believe students can engage with the class in a variety of ways that provide both formal and casual encounters with the subject, as one does in a new country.  For example, oral presentations, leading discussion, argumentative writing are all formal elements of class that contribute to a student's assessable development.  But weekly, reflective blog posts or tweets allows students a varied learning experience enmeshed with their everyday lives.  


Another means of facilitating philosophical learning in my classroom comes from living Italian philosopher, Giorgio Agamben's redefining of Aristotelian potential.  While Aristotle perpetuated potential and actualization as binaries, Agamben claims potential can exist in tandem with what is actualized, to the point the potential lives on, in a sense, due to and through what is actualized.  In the same way, each student enters the classroom with their classmates and myself, an equal participant, working towards an end goal--an Associates degree, personal enrichment, or acquisition of general requirements.  It is my task in each class to bring awareness to the potential in each student's journey towards their or the class's end goal of critical mindedness.  Yet, the potential does not end when the class is over--this is exactly Agamben's point.  The potential to continue to develop critically will never end.


I have a lot more to add, but I think this is where I call it a night.  Comments and suggestions will be much appreciated!  I'm also a bit distracted by the number of fireworks--happy Diwali!  Indians do fireworks about 5 times better than Americans on the 4th of July.  I'll post Bangkok photos next, promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment